Indonsa Arts and Crafts Centre
COMMUNITY SERVICES DEPARTMENT - Indonsa Arts and
Our centre manager, Reeves
Indonsa Arts and Craft Centre is one of the RDP Centres
initiated under the Provincial Department of Education and Culture
now the Department of Arts and Culture. In August 2001 the
Department approached the Zululand District Municipality to form
partnership in which a well structured institution was sought to
manage finances and operations of the Centre. Indonsa started
functioning fully in 2002 under the management of the Zululand
District Municipality up until now.
- Skills training project in basic drawing, painting, textile
design, graphic design and silkscreen printing.
- Training project in Designing and Sewing of both traditional
& contemporary Fashion.
MUSIC AND INSTRUMENTS
- Skills training project in playing of musical instruments such
as Drums, Guitar, keyboard etc. Monthly music shows are organised
in-house to expose up and coming musicians to the stage &
- A set up of a recording studio used to record local artists.
Sound damping, Voice booth and partitioning need attention for it
to be fully functional
- Displaying/showcasing of Artworks produced by Indonsa trainees
and awarding of certificates to the competent learners. Schools,
local businesses and potential buyers are invited to witness.
UMBELE WETHU CULTURAL FESTIVAL
- Cultural competition rolled out in all five local
Municipalities under Zululand DM for selections and winners go to a
final held in Ulundi.Winners in the district finals get
prize money and a chance to record their music for free at Indonsa.
Since 2004, genres :Ingoma, Poetry, Drama, Isicathamiya, maskandi,
Indlamu, Ukushikila, Ukuzoloza, Isigekle, Arts & Crafts, Gospel
etc.. We discover, nurture, preserve and develop talent.
CRAFTS CO ORDINATION
- Whenever there are Provincial/National exhibitions, Crafters
are gathered for the selection of the best crafts to represent the
Province. Support is given to Crafters in term of Workshops and
exhibition space. Crafts outlet is under construction at Ecengeni